Is there anything I can do to have the same benefit as other full-time employees?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do to have the same benefit as other full-time employees?

I live at the apartment complex I work at; 3 of the other full-time employees are exempt from rent.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately I'm afraid that you may not be able to. The fact of the matter is that, employees do not have to be treated equally; they don't even have to be treated fairly. It is perfectly legal to give one employee more favorable treatment than another. This is true as long as the treatment does not violate: existing company policy, an employment contract, a union agreement, or federal statute regarding discrimination.

In an "at will" employment relationship,an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of the workplace. In turn, an employer can choose to work for an employer or not. I appreciate in this economy that may not be much of a choice for you, but that's the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption