Is there anything I can do to clear my name and get my license back?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do to clear my name and get my license back?

I let a friend use my car, I did not have insurance, she told me she did. That evening she called and said my car had been stolen. I told her to call the police and report it. Because she was in a different jurisdiction then I live, (30 Miles Away), I talked to the reporting officer on the phone and gave him all my information. Later that month, I received a letter from Travelers Insurance, stating that my vehicle was involved in a multiple car accident that took place an hour before the stolen vehicle report was initiated. Of course, I haven’t seen or heard from my friend since. I do have all of her personal information. Today, I find out my drivers license has been suspended. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Accident Law, Washington


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you received notice of your license suspension from the Washington State Department of Licensing, you may request a hearing or administrative review to contest the suspension.

You were supposed to receive a hearing request form with the notice of suspension. If you did, complete it and mail it to the address on the form.

If you didn't receive a form, contact the Department: [email protected].

At the hearing, you can present your case: you weren't the driver, you gave information to the reporting officer, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption