is there anything i can do to make sure my daghters father who is now 43 does not try to date little girls?

UPDATED: May 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is there anything i can do to make sure my daghters father who is now 43 does not try to date little girls?

I was only 14 years old. he was very controlling and abusive. I left him when i was 19. I am now 33 and my daughter is 17. He still doesnt see anything wrong with this

Asked on May 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't see how you can prevent it, but here is some information that you might want to keep in mind.  In the state of NY, if he has sexual intercourse or other sexual acts with someone under the age of 17, he can be prosecuted for statutory rape.  A girl under 17 has not yet reached the age of consent.  If the girl is under 13, this would be a first degree sexual offense.  If she's under 15, this would be a second degree sexual offense.  You can report him to the police if you suspect this is occurring. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption