Is there anything I can do if my landlord rented me an apartment in a building he knew had bed bugs and cockroaches?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do if my landlord rented me an apartment in a building he knew had bed bugs and cockroaches?

I’ve had to throw away my bed and pay for numerous containers to store my things in. When I told him he said an exterminater would be out but never came. After talking with other tenants this has been a problem for years.

Asked on August 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord is required to disclose to all potential tenants everything known that may affect desirability or price paid. If you can prove that before you rented the unit you have that the landlord knew about bed bug and cockroach infestation at the unit you have and did not disclose this to you, then you have a basis for suing him or her for the loss of your damaged items which would be their fair market value.

I suggest that you make a complaint to your local health department where you reside and ask for an inspection of all units due to the vermin issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption