Is there anything I can do against a transmission repair shop that is not repairing my vehicle properly?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do against a transmission repair shop that is not repairing my vehicle properly?

I have a vehicle that was repaired by a transmission shop last October. I have had to bring the car back 5 times and going on the 6th this week. The transshipment has been constantly leaking fluids and is now shifting extremely hard and causing the vehicle to be inoperative without damage. The transmission shop rebuilt the transmission and I have brought it in for: leaking fluids, leaking fluids again, shifting hard, leaking fluids and not shifting at all, and now it’s leaking fluids again and shifting unbeliebably hard. I’ve since moved from. The location of the shop which is a 2.5 hour round trip for me now. I can’t keep wasting my time and gas as this vehicle is also a work vehicle. Is there anything I can do legally as far as getting a refund?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the issue that you have concerning your vehicle's transmission is to speak with the owner of the facility to see what can be done to fix the item as well as the costs for its return where the rebuilt transmission simply is not holding up.

I would suggest that the transmission place reinstall another used transmission into your vehicle at its cost as a swap out. If you cannot get the recourse you want, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices law in the area of consumer law or consult with your local bureau of automotive repairs that oversees regulations of licensed automobile repair shops in each state.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption