Is there any way to get out of my lease due to the fact they are putting my 18 month old daughter at risk?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way to get out of my lease due to the fact they are putting my 18 month old daughter at risk?

The carpet is coming up and the tacks are showing; they will not let us move to another apartment.

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A tenant has the implied right to the "warranty of habitability".  This is the right to live in a clean and safe premises. Accordingly you can:

  • repair and deduct (fix the problem yourself and have the landlord reimburse you);
  • withhold rent (don't pay rent until the repairs are made); or
  • you could terminate your lease and hold your landlord liable for reimbursement of any expenses incurred as a result of any move (but its not clear that the repairs that need to be made are of a serious a nature so that you would have to vacate the premises). 

You should consult with an attorney in your area who specializes in landlord-tenant matters, or you can contact a tenants rights organization for help. If you fail to follow the proper procedures for attempting any of the above remedies, you may be held legally liable.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In every lease, there is an implied warranty of habitability which means that the landlord is required to maintain the premises in a habitable condition by complying with local and state housing codes.

The tacks coming through the carpet would constitute a health and safety issue for your baby daughter crawling on the floor.  You could argue that this health and safety issue is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.

When there is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability, if the landlord does not make the necessary repairs in a reasonable time after being given notice, the tenant can either make the repairs and deduct the cost from the rent or move out and terminate the obligation to pay rent for the balance of the term of the lease or if you decide to stay on the premises, you could withhold rent and defend against eviction. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption