Is there any way to appeal a court order to pay my ex monthly payments that will leave me unable to buy food or pay my bills?

UPDATED: May 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way to appeal a court order to pay my ex monthly payments that will leave me unable to buy food or pay my bills?

I am already behind because I have not received my final divorce decree from my lawyer and my first payment it for 3 months. I was taken off of child support and cannot pay for the gas required for travel that I was ordered to do for custody arrangements and now my bills exceed my monthly income but I make more than the poverty level so no programs exist that can help me.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Family Law, Montana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to go back to court snd explain and prove your financial position so that you can be temporarily taken off of all support payments until you can get back on your feet. Times are tough and courts are more sympathetic nowadays to that but you must be able to prove that your income does not exceed your bills. If you cannot obtain free legal representation or if you have decided to choose a different attorney, make sure you get all of your paperwork together. The court needs to see what you see and live and how best to adjust the plans.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption