Is there any way that we can get out of a lease that we signed if our landlord failed to find us roommates?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way that we can get out of a lease that we signed if our landlord failed to find us roommates?

The landlord told us to try and find roommates but after a long search we couldn’t. She agreed that if we didn’t find roommates that she would but it seems as though she is not having good luck with her search. We would like to end the contract now and find a new place to stay so that when August comes around (move-in month), we won’t be stuck with no place to live. However, the landlord wants us to wait until August to see if we will have roommates, but by then, it will be too late and other apartment complexes will be filled.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay well you need to go to legal aid or student services to get some help here.  You signed a contract and one needs to read that contract to see what is says.  If your "agreement" with the landlord as to the "other roommmate" is not in the lease then you have a problem. You could be in breach.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption