Is there any way I can stop receiving collection notices from a debt collector?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way I can stop receiving collection notices from a debt collector?

I’m on SSI due to chronic depression and anxiety. I’m also currently in default for over $30,000 for a student loan that I’ll never be able to pay off.

Asked on November 25, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are only two ways for you to stop receiving collection notices from creditors for moneys owed. The first is for you to pay off all of your debt which does not seem to be an option from what you have written.

The second is for you to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to determine whether or not you are a candidate for the filing of a personal bankruptcy. If you are, then either your debt gets consolidated into a plan where you are able to make monthly payments to your creditors or you get a complete discharge and you start all over with a clean slate owing no debt to anyone.

Until one of the above options are done, you will continue receiving debt collection notices from your creditors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption