Is there any way that I can get my house back if was tricked into transferring it out of my name?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way that I can get my house back if was tricked into transferring it out of my name?

A family friend wanted to rent to own my home. I was okay with it at the time but I was living in the home too at the time time. I had a water bill in my name and he had told me that the only way we could get the water back on was if I put my house in someone else’s name. I thought I could trust him and put went ahead and put the house in his name and the deal was $500 every month for rent and he was supposed to help me get a little 1-bedroom. We never did any contract because like I said I thought that I could trust him. Well it’s been almost 3 months and I haven’t received a full months rent yet and have had no help in finding another house. This house has been in my family for ages. Is it to late too get my house back?

Asked on December 31, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can try to void (or undo) the transfer for fraud: due to his misrepresenting (or lying about) a material (or important) fact, like what he would do and pay, in order to induce (or cause) you to enter into the transaction. Fraud can provide a basis to reverse or undo a transaction. However, voiding a transaction due to fraud can be quite complicated: retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption