Is there any way I can get my foreign fiance to USA when I am disabled?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way I can get my foreign fiance to USA when I am disabled?

I’m a disabled US citizen on SSI and my fianc is living in India. We have not met in person, we have only done many…many video calls. It’s difficult for me to go to India as I am disabled, and difficult for him to get here without a visa.. We want to get married ASAP, because in our religion, dating and not getting married is frowned upon. Is there any way, being on SSI and having not met, that I can get him here to marry me?

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

NO, you will not be able to bring your fiance to the US as a fiance if you have not met in person.  that is a requirement for the fiance visa petition.  Why is he not able to get a visitor's visa at least to try to visit you?  Has he tried?  He should try to do this first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption