Is there any legal recourse for being discharged without any explanation of what could possibly be wrong with me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal recourse for being discharged without any explanation of what could possibly be wrong with me?

I went into the emergency room on Sunday complaining of heart problems and after EKG ,echocardiogram, and a nuclear stress test I was discharged Tuesday evening without any explanation of what could possibly be wrong.I literally spent about 4 minutes with a cardiologist and the only thing I left there with was an enormous bill and nothing but unanswered questions. I wasn’t even given my test results or explained in any way whatsoever what the problem could be. After I complained about not seeing the doctor or getting any of my test results I was discharged and left there in exactly the same position that I went in with. Only now I’ll have a hospital I can’t afford to pay. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on October 30, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Malpractice is when you suffer physical harm from the treatment (or lack thereof); since you do not describe physical harm, this would not be malpractice. If you believe they took your money without providing the services they should, you may have a case against the ER for fraud (for essentially tricking you into paying for something of little or no value) or breach of contract (the agreement, even if only an oral, or unwritten, one, pursuant to which you agreed to pay for the tests and the results/information. You may have a viable claim (lawsuit) for the money you paid out of pocket on these bases, but it would only be for the money back, and it would not be a malpractice claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption