Is there any legal actionI can take for unpaid wages?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal actionI can take for unpaid wages?

I was hired on, working with 2 other people, at a motel. Payday came and went nearly twice (weekly checks) before my boss, the self proclaimed “owner” was caught stealing from the trust company that actually ran it and was fired. Apparently he had no authorization to hire any of us or make any deals with regard to trading rooms for wages. Our agreement was for my work in exchange for a room (normal rate of $600 a month) and a $150 per week paycheck in exchange for my cleaning all the check outs and renovating the building. A similar deal was made with the person hired to run the front desk. Upon the unauthorized individual’s dismissal, and everything being explained to the trust company, the person hired for the front desk was compensated but I was not. Is there any legal action I can take?

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have several theories you can sue, including violatings of federal and state wage laws, breach of contract, implied contract (unjust enrichment).  If you want to get this over with quickly, see what the small claims jurisdictional limit in your state.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption