Is there any law that protects a consumer from being charged for services not rendered?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any law that protects a consumer from being charged for services not rendered?

VoIP is refusing to recognize cancellation of service. Have records supporting transfer to new company and call made just prior to this transfer. No service provided after this date.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the common laws of all states, there is case law supporting affirmative defenses that a consumer if he or she can demonstrate that he or she did not receive services that they are being charged for do not have to pay for them.

If the VolP charge deals with a cell phone provider that you cancelled, one way to try and get redress is to make a complaint with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption