Is there any chance that I can be partially reimbursed for the money I spent to have my car fixed only to have it break down about 20 miles away?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any chance that I can be partially reimbursed for the money I spent to have my car fixed only to have it break down about 20 miles away?

I paid the owner of an auto repair shop $1400 to fix an engine problem I was having with my car. After I made my final payment for their services, they informed me that there were still major problems and that I would have to add about 6 quarts to my engine about every 30 miles. I was also informed at this time that I could have gotten a scrap motor and had it installed for around $1500, but that option was never mentioned to me. I got about 20 miles out of town and my car died. It is now completely inoperable.

Asked on August 31, 2011 Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are dissatisfied with the repairs that you received from the mechanic that you took your vehicle to, you should speak with the shop's owners to see what refund you could receive for the repair bill that you paid.

To me, putting in six quarts of oil in the vehicle every 30 miles does not sound like any repairs were made. If the owner of the shop is not willing to refund you any amount of the money paid, your have the following options:

1. contact an attorney experienced in automotive law about your predicament;

2. contact your bureau of automotive repairs concerning your situation. This entity is in charge of overseeing licensed mechanics and fielding consumer complaints;

3. bring an action in small claims court for the refund of you money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption