Is there an alternative to turning myself in regarding a warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there an alternative to turning myself in regarding a warrant?

I was on probation and allowed to leave state with pending charge if probation terms not completed for

remainder of probation. Due to getting a new charge in the state I moved to, I was not able to satisfy the original terms due to incarceration. I have since completed the charges in this 2nd state. I am in CA and I have a warrant from VA. Is there an alternative for me such as paying fines rather than going all the way back to VA?

Asked on May 2, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Probably not. Typically, when there is a warrant out for a person's arrst, they must travel back to the jurisdicition in question and appear in court before a judge. However, much depends on the underlying offense and surrounding circumstances. At this point, you should directly contact acriminal law attorney who practices in the area of the where the warrant was issued. They can then review the details of your case and advise you further. Just know, as a general rule, warrants do not expire so taking care of this as soon as possible is best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption