Is there a website or a way to find out if any type of insurance policy claim was filed for someone who has passed away?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a website or a way to find out if any type of insurance policy claim was filed for someone who has passed away?

My father past away a few years ago, and I was recently told by an uncle that his ex wife claimed a life insurance policy on behalf of the three children that she had with him. I am not sure if its really a life insurance claim or something else. With my father’s accident report (passed away in an automobile accident) and/or social security number will I be able to get that type of information? and if so, from where or how?

Asked on June 23, 2009 under Insurance Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not sure that any such database exists, or, if it does, that anyone outside the insurance industry can get information from it.  And I'm not sure what, if anything, you'd want to do with information about your late father's insurance policy.

There might not be anything mysterious or underhanded about this.  It isn't all that unusual, in a divorce, for a father to be ordered to take out a life insurance policy for his children, with the mother as the person receiving the funds on the children's behalf, for as long as the children remain underage.  It's a substitute for the child support he would have paid had he lived.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption