Is there a way to sponsor an illegal alien for work and/or school?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to sponsor an illegal alien for work and/or school?

This person has lived here in the U.S. since he was a minor, and is unable to do pretty much anything. I’ve know him for a couple of years, and would like to hire him and, if necessary, sponsor him so that he can go to school. Is there any way to do this, without him leaving the country for several years?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you wish to do is quite a nice gesture for this person and will give them a start in life that they probably only dreamed of. There are a few different ways to sponsor a person in obtaining their green card.  Employment is one of the ways, yes.  And there are visas available for school as well.  The thing is that this particular person has been here in the United States illegally, correct?  That is a very touchy thing these days especially and I would strongly suggest  that you seek help from an attorney in your area on the matter.  You also need to realize that sponsoring a person means that your life is laid open so be prepared for that as well. Speak with an attorney on the matter.  Good luck to you both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption