Is there a way to reduce the amountI am being garnished for?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to reduce the amountI am being garnished for?

Currently I have 2 garnishments on me. After all the deductions with taxes and the garnishments and paying all my bills that need to be paid, I am left with maybe $50 to a $100 to last me the month. For instance, I make $14 an hour that’s $1120 a month. After taxes and garnishment, I get to keep $809. How I can begin to pay my bills?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One way to try and reduce the amount of your wage garnishments is to ask if the judgment creditors would sign a written agreement for a lesser amount. If that is not acceptable with them, then your option is to file a motion with the court clerk to seek a reduction in the percentage of your paychecks that is being garnished.

Note, there is no guarantee that the court will grant your request.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption