Is there a way to obtain a property leagaly by by-passing the owners?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to obtain a property leagaly by by-passing the owners?

My family and I moved into a house several years ago and enjoyed living there but moved to a place closer to town. Now that I have moved out from my parents house I would like to look at buying the property. I have tried several times to contact the owners, but they have not given me any answer at all. The property was vacant 7 years before we moved in and has been vacant since we moved out 4 or 5 years ago now. The out-buildings 2 Barns and the house have become in such disrepair that they would have to sell it for the land alone about 10 to 12 acers. Is there a way to by-pass the owners to own the property? Or would I still have to go through them?

Asked on April 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is their property, even if they are not making good use of it, are not being responsive about it, etc. There is no way to "bypass" the owners and take their property, even if they are neglecting it and any logical person *should* sell it to you. It'd be the same if you had a classic Mustang that you were letting rust away in your driveway and had no intention of driving: someone else, who wanted to restore and treasure it, could not take your car from you or even force you to negotiate over it if you did not want to--it's yours to do with as you wish. Similarly, these owners have the right to own and yet neglect their property, and don't have to respond to queries about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption