Is there a way to have simple assault charges in a fight dropped?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to have simple assault charges in a fight dropped?

I was in a fight over the weekend and a friend ex friend and I had a physical fight. The cops charged us both with simple assault/fighting. We were both injured during the fight. Her a bit worse then I. Not even 15 minutes after the altercation had ended she had already given my number out. I received a call from her boyfriend and her boyfriend’s brother. I recorded the conversation and was able to get a

harresment summons on her and the people she gave my number to. The next day I received a threatening text from another one of her friends. Since the friend is out of state I couldn’t make a report for it because I don’t know her current address. However the girl who texting the threatening content told me that the ex friend I got into a fight with would be trying to sue me. Is there a way to get her cause thrown out of court due to the fact that she is giving out my personal information to have people harass, and threaten me. I have video evidence of the phone call and all the texts.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Her other actions have no bearing on the charges against you: if you were in a fight, and so committed simple assault, you committed assault. Her other or later actions may be grounds to press other charges against her (e.g. harassment, terroristic threats) and/or sue her, but do not affect the validity of the charges against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption