Is there a violation of the lease for which I am subjected to late penalties ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a violation of the lease for which I am subjected to late penalties ?

I mailed my rent check on the 1st day of the month but did not physically get
into the hands of the landlord until after the 3rd of the month. There is a
stipulation in the lease that says that payment should be received by their
office on or before the 3rd of the month. Am I protected against late fees under
the Postmark Act of 2014 that provides delivery to the Post Office/Agents of
mails constitute the actual date of delivery of payment ? Thanks, Henry

Asked on December 8, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

According to the official U.S. Government Publishing Office, the Postmark Act of 2014 was never actually enacated into law; therefore, its provisions are not enforceable and the money would have to have been actually received by te 1st. Here is a link to the GPO webpage on this bill:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption