Is there a statute of limitations on distributing an estate?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitations on distributing an estate?

My brother-in-law never distributed his mother’s estate to my husband when she died. Now we are divorced. We lost touch with my brother-in-law and now my ex-husband passed away leaving his 2 children as successor’s to his estate. I’m not sure if there is any legal recourse or not.

Asked on October 26, 2014 under Estate Planning, Washington


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Was a probate estate ever opened for your mother in law?  Was there a will?  How much time has passed since her death?  These need to be answered to answer your question.  

Your two children, as heirs of their father's estate would have a claim in the mother in law's estate, if there was any.   If you would like to provide the answers to these questions, I would be happy to complete your question.  You can contact my office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption