Is there a statue of limitations for money owed to you in Wisconsin?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statue of limitations for money owed to you in Wisconsin?

Was in business bit not any longer.
Person has owed me money for 5 years.
Under 10,000. Have talked to that
person as says latter in year they
could pay but never does. Can I still
go after after so long. Have not given
bill to them in years either.

Asked on April 21, 2018 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they owe you money, it is presumably according to some contract or agreement (even if only an oral, or unwritten, one), such as that you would provide goods or services and they would pay you. In your state, the statute of limitations is six (6) years under Section 893.43 of the state code. You appear to still be in time to sue, but should do so soon, before yet more time passes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption