is there a simple divorce i can get??

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is there a simple divorce i can get??

we have been separated for over 15 or more years. The kids are all over 18yrs of age. There is nothing to fight for. She walked out and has her own home with her guy. My house is the only thing we had together. But she wants no part of it. She just wants a quick divorce. Is it possible, and do we have to get lawyers for that??

Asked on November 1, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If there are no children under 18 years of age and the property division is already agreed upon.... then this should be a quick and easy divorce. 
Any divorce in Texas starts with a petition.  This is what gets the process going.  It is basically one party's 'wish list' of what they want to accomplish in the divorce.  The next step is for the other party to file an answer or waiver.  Basically, this is where the other spouse tells the court, 'Hey, I'm here and I want to be notified of anything that happens.'  An answer or waiver is usually a one page document.  I usually recommend the filing of an 'answer' because it does not result in anyone giving up any part of their rights.  The last step is the entry of a final decree.  This is an order where the judge declares the divorce 'granted' and approves any agreements of the parties.  Because you have a house, you would also want her to sign a warranty deed which transfers ownership of the house to you.  This will enable you to sell or transfer the house at a later date.... if you should ever desire to do so. Texas has a sixty day 'cooling off' period.  This means that after the original petition is filed, you and your spouse must wait sixty days before you can finalize the divorce.
You don't really need an attorney to file the petition, answer, or waiver.  However, to protect your interest, it would benefit you to pay an attorney for the limited purpose of drafting the decree and the special warranty deed.  You do not have to hire the attorney for full representation....just drafting for a couple of hundred.  It will save you a great expense from having to clear the title at a later date or risking your wife coming to make a claim for the house a couple of years later if/when she should change her mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption