Is there a minimum notice period for eviction from work provided accommodations?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a minimum notice period for eviction from work provided accommodations?

My husband and I were living in accommodations provided by his job (he was a pub manager). His employment was terminated and we were given 24 hours to leave the property. Is this legal? Did the employer have to give us written notice to leave the property? If he didn’t, am I entitled to sue for loss of earnings and hotel costs? I had to take time off to look for a new place to live and spend a month’s salary on a hotel due to not being given adequate time to find somewhere else to stay. Am I entitled to sue for these costs?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states, a landlord is required to give minimum 30 days notice of the termination of a tenant's occupancy of a rental as in your situation. The 24 hour notice is not sufficient.

Under the law you are not entitled to have compensation for loss of earnings and hotel costs due to the 24 hour termination notice. I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption