Is there a law of protection for a parent to not have to submit a statement against their child

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a law of protection for a parent to not have to submit a statement against their child

child resides in Tampa, Florida committed a criminal offense at 17 months or weeks before 18th birthday. He is now being tried as an adult. The father is being ordered to court to identify child in photo. State says there is adequate evidence that the minor child committed the crime but is requiring father who wasn’t present at any scenes of the crimes to testify against his son. Is there any law that protects a parent from having to

Asked on August 29, 2017 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your state does not recognize any parent-child testimonial privilege in court. The father can be compelled to testify against his son; obviously, he can only testify about things he knows, so he can be asked to ID his child from a photo, but can't testify about where his chld was or what his child was doing then if he does not in fact know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption