Is there a law in WA state requiring a lifeguard for swimmers under 16 years of age?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a law in WA state requiring a lifeguard for swimmers under 16 years of age?

I was escorted out by the police dept today for swimming with my 9 year old daughter at the Golds gym where I am a member. Is it a law that a lifeguard be present, or can I take reponsibility for my child?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Personal Injury, Washington


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and pracrtice in this aras of the law.  This is one of the oddest things i ever heard.  However, if you look carefully at the gym's rules and regulations (which it is allowed to make) there may be some rule about swimming with children.  This is a gym policy that can be enforced.  You were not arrested becasue there is no state law that you violated, but rather a rule of a private gym to which you are a member.  I am shocked that the gym would treat you like that.  I would check the gym's rules about this as they are allowed to make such rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption