Is there a law regarding receiving a copy of your lease?

UPDATED: May 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a law regarding receiving a copy of your lease?

We lived with roommates and were only given one copy which they have. We have asked for our own copy repeatedly, via phone and in writing, only to be told no, we couldn’t have a copy. Is there anything we can do to get a copy? Is there any law they are breaking by not giving us a copy?

Asked on May 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law P. C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there is a law that requires your landlord to give you a copy of your lease agreement.  The landlord is required to give the tenant a copy of the lease agreement within 15 days of its execution.  For further reading, see California Civil Code Section 1962 et. seq.  You may want to consider sending a written request by certified mail to your landlord citing the relevant portions of the code.  Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption