What canI do if my college is not following through on getting me into my required courses?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my college is not following through on getting me into my required courses?

I am supposed to be taking 1 class at my college (on campus) and 1 on-line class this term. Classes started 10 days ago. The school did not provide me with the information I needed to start my on-line class. I drove to the school (over an hour away) to take a workshop. When I got there they informed me that I was not able to do the workshop because for some reason I was not on the list. The first day of class I e-mailed the guy that deals with the on-line class. He told me to talk to the dean. I called 2 times and left messages. He never returned my call. I have missed 2 weeks now.

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Business Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue you college for breach of contract, if they are not providing you the opportunities, services, course, etc. they agreed to provide. You need to take a close look at the agreement/contract with the college and all documentation relating to it, and compare that to what you've done and paid--if you honored your obligations and did what you were supposed but they did not honor their obligations, that's when there may be a breach of contract case. in that event, you may be able to sue either for a return of your tuition, for a court order forcing the college to provide to you what they said they would, and/or for other monetary compensation. Again, in a case like this, the outcome will likely turn on the contract and other documentation, since that defines the responsibilities of the parties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption