Is the wife entitled to property I inherited before we were married

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the wife entitled to property I inherited before we were married

I’m trying to sell property inherited from a grandparent.
Does my deceased uncle’s wife have an interest in said property?
She is now deceased so will her family have an interest in said

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Property that is inherited either before or during marriage, is the sole property of the spouse who inherited it. Therefore, their spouse, or their deceased spouse's estate, has no claim to it. That is so long as the deceased spouse had not made or paid to have made any improvements or repairs, etc. to the property. In that case and as a general rule, their estate may be entitled to reimbursement for such costs and expenses, however they will not have any interest in the property itself. At this point, you really should consult directly with a family law or probate attorney for further advise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption