What is the law regarding the reduction of employee hours?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding the reduction of employee hours?

Before I was hired, I was told that I would be working 7 days on and 7 days off at 84 hours a week, 40 regular and 44 hours overtime. Shortly after I started, they changed all the night crews to 36 hours 1 week and 48 the next. Still 7 and 7. 7 consecutive days but they changed the pay period so we are 36 and 48. Huge pay cut. Not what I was told originally. The night crew and I are looking into it.

Asked on October 17, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that guarantees your weekly hours, your employer can make this schedule change. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes the type of reduction in hours that you describe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption