Is ta manager disclosing my medical condition legal?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is ta manager disclosing my medical condition legal?

Recently returning back to work after being ill and my manager, in front of fellow co-workers and our customers, yelled out, “Are you on medication?”. Then people kept asking, “Is she sick or something?”. Then my manager went on to explain my illness.

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your manager's disclosure of your medical condition against your wishes is not per se a legal or illegal action with respect to a criminal aspect but it is surely poor judgment on his or her part from a business aspect and an invasion of your privacy.

I suggest that you set up an appointment with your company's human resources department to air your grievance over what transpired and set forth a record in the event other private matters concerning yourself are disclosed without your approval.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption