If I want to make my children the beneficiaries of my IRA, does my wife need to agree?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to make my children the beneficiaries of my IRA, does my wife need to agree?

Is TX a community property state? The IRA that was funded before marriage.

Asked on January 6, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, Texas is a Community Property State.  That means that marital assets are split 50/50.  However, assets that you had before your marriage are not marital assets but are separate property and not subject to distribution.  You claim her that the IRA was funded prior to marriage so that makes it your separate property.  However, the bank may want your wife to sign something with regard thereto before you can designate your children as the beneficiaries. She would probably need to sign a waiver and/or consent.  Do you think that this would be a problem?  Then I would seek help from an estate planner in your area on what you can do.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption