Is Legal for one employer to call another employer about a mutual employee to suggest that the employee be fired?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is Legal for one employer to call another employer about a mutual employee to suggest that the employee be fired?

I work for 2 Realty companies. Company A called company B and asked if I am currently employed at Company B. Company B replied yes. So Company A stated that is a conflict of interest. Company A then informed Company B that they are planning on firing me and tried to suggest that Company B fire me as well. Legally, can Company A do this? Moreover, can I sue Company A for this?

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal and you cannot sue. ANY person can call up your employer and suggest that they terminate you--including a former or another current employer of yours. There is law baring anyone from asking or recommending that someone terminate you, and so no grounds for a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption