Is name and contact info of adult legal guardian’s available to the public? If so, where can I find that information.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is name and contact info of adult legal guardian’s available to the public? If so, where can I find that information.

An elderly former neighbor has been declared incompetent and has been placed
in a nursing home and assigned a legal guardian. I would like to get in contact
with that person to discuss a business matter, but I’m not sure where I can find
that info. The nursing home was not allowed to release it due to HIPPA
protections, but I thought there might be some other avenue for obtaining that

Asked on December 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It may be available from the family or chancery (also known as "general equity") court (depending on how your state parses out cases like this, either may have been involved) in the county in which the elderly person resided. Some court would have needed to have been invovled to declare a person legally incompetent and appoint a guardian. Contact the clerk's offices in both courts and ask you question: they may be able to provide it, or direct you to the appropriate source.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption