Is my wife entitled to half my startup company in a divorce if the company is not turning a profit and may never make money?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my wife entitled to half my startup company in a divorce if the company is not turning a profit and may never make money?

I have a startup Internet search engine that is only bringing in $120 a month and my expenses exceed that so no profit. I created this company during my marriage as a potential second income. Should I try to do a trade now such as pay more than her fair share to rent an apartment in exchange for what she might get from the company in our divorce? My wife and I have been married 24 years. She took no part in developing the company.

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The company is, with out a doubt, marital property.  With any business the value of the property has to be obtained.  Business are generally appraised.  Yours have no value as of now and future value is difficult to determine at best.  So at this point it is the money used for the start up that could be at issue.  One would need to sit down and look at all the assets and liabilities to see the best bargaining chip.  So seek legal help in your area.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption