Is my termination after 2 and 1/2 years of exceeding goals legal?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my termination after 2 and 1/2 years of exceeding goals legal?

I worked as production manager of a watch and movement assembly plant in Detroit.
I recruited, interviewed, hired and trained a very successfull staff. I created a very effective training method. I reduced, and maintained reject targets.
Without warning or any prior indication, I was terminated. I was offered 10 weeks pay as severence. I strongly disagree with my termination.

Asked on March 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Was your treatment the result of some form of actionable discrimnation/retaliation? Did this action violate company policy or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract? If not, then as an "at will" employee, your termination was legal. The fact is that an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption