Isachild entitled to any life insurance proceeds paid out attheir father’s death?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Isachild entitled to any life insurance proceeds paid out attheir father’s death?

My son’s father just passed away. His father never paid any child support for our son his whole life. My son’s grandmother had several life insurance policies on her son. Is my son entitled to any of that money or is that just for the deceased son’s mother?

Asked on January 23, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately the only one entitled to life insurance proceeds is the named beneficiary on the policy. The same holds true to any funds in an IRA, pension, 401(k), or other retirement plans which also pass directly beneficiaries.  Additionally, heirs have no rights to any other asset transferred outside of probate.  For example, if your son's father had a small estate, property may have been transferred by affidavit. 

Additionally, some assets may have been held as "joint tenants with right of survivorship", in which case the other joint tenant would have received your son's father's share of property operation of law.  

Finally, if your son's father had a Will, then your son may be entitled to something.  However, a parent can legally disinherit a child - children have not automatic right to inherit under a Will.  On the other hand, if your son; father died without a Will, then he is said to have died "intestate".  Accordingly, the laws of the state where he died would control.  Typically in such a case, the estate is divided between a surviving spouse, if any, and all of the deceased's children. 

Note:  There may be the potential to sue your son's father's estate for back-child support.  You should speak to a family or probate law attorney as making such a claim under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption