Is my separation agreement legal if it was signed but wasn’t notarized or witnessed?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my separation agreement legal if it was signed but wasn’t notarized or witnessed?

I felt like I was coerced into signing this agreement for fear that my ex-wife would do something drastic. She would never admit as much, but at the time I signed it I was. The agreement is completely unfair and the few people I’ve showed it too, including a lawyer, have said it is completely unfair bordering on unconscionable. Do i have grounds to have it reviewed by a court and written more fairly?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Right, but did the lawyer let you know if it constituted a valid contract and if there were grounds to set it aside?  That is what you need to find out.  If you feel that were coerced then speak with an attorney about the facts  - specific facts - and see if they amount to what is needed to set the agreement aside.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption