Is my relocation agreement still binding with Company B if I signed it with Company A?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my relocation agreement still binding with Company B if I signed it with Company A?

I signed a 2 year binding relocation agreement that penalizes me if I leave
within that period with Company A. Company A has since split into two entities
and I now work for Company B since Company A still exists. Is my relocation
agreement still binding with Company B now?

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If company B split off from company A as you indicate and you went with it, then yes, the ageement is still binding: the agreement would almost certainly have been assigned to company B when it split off, and in any event, since you were part of what became B, in essence, *you* are still working for the same entity as you were when you signed the agreement--from your perspective, this amounts to nothing more than a name change, which does not invalidate such an agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption