Is my mother responsible for my deceased father’s credit card debt if she was not on the card accounts?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my mother responsible for my deceased father’s credit card debt if she was not on the card accounts?

My father just passed away last month. We’ve been going through bills and trying to clear up things for my mother. He had a couple credit cards with amounts on them. Since my mother lives in the home is that considered estate? Does she have to pay them off even if shes not on the cards?

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Estate Planning, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In UT, spouses are responsible for "family expenses" and may be sued separately apart from th ir deceased spouse's estate. Such expenses include any necessary bills, credit card debt, etc. that were incurred for the benefit of the family such as medical bills and services or goods that were necessary for the health and well-being of either spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption