Is my husband liable to repay relocation costs if he left his job after 1 year which is what the proposal and offer letter stated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my husband liable to repay relocation costs if he left his job after 1 year which is what the proposal and offer letter stated?

We were relocated by my husband’s previous employer. The proposal and or offer letter stated that if he resigned or was terminated within the first year, that he would be held responsible to repay the full relocation costs. He resigned weeks after his 1 year anniversary. So, is he responsible to repay for our relocation?

Asked on August 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The problem is, your husband voluntarily agreed to pay--he signed a promissory note for the money. If he had not done so, they could not require you to pay if he resigned after that critical one-year time period. But in voluntarily signing the note--and in the law's eyes, it *was* voluntary, since he could have freely refused to pay and they could have done nothing about that--he contractually obligated himself to pay. Therefore, the siging of the note very likely makes you responsible for the money, even though you would not otherwise have been.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption