Is my ex-wife entitled to subpoena my girlfriend’s financial records and tax returns?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my ex-wife entitled to subpoena my girlfriend’s financial records and tax returns?

Just received a subpoena for my financials for the last year and for my girlfriend’s as well. Does my ex have the right to see her financials?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your former wife is entitled via a subpoena duces tecum to obtain copies of your girlfriend's financial records depends upon what the issue is with respect to the child support case that you are writing about and the girlfriend's role with respect to the dispute.

Ordinarily under the laws of all states in this country your girlfriend's financial records and tax returns if she is not a party to your dispute (a named defendant or respondent to a lawsuit) are privileged are should not be produced in a subpoena. Your girlfriend should consult with a family law attorney to represent her in the matter you are writing about. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption