Is my ex legally responsible to continue medical coverage for our 22 year old son?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my ex legally responsible to continue medical coverage for our 22 year old son?

My ex just contacted our 22 year old son to inform him that he has been laid off
from his job and informed my son that he will no longer have medical coverage. Is
this legal? Isn’t he required to get coverage through COBRA so that at least my
son can continue to be covered at least in Colorado, where we live?

Asked on November 13, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

YOur divorce decree and stipulation of settlement governs.  Read it.  ANd your old lawyer may still know the answer even if he no longer practices in Colorado but it may be best to take the agreement to an attorney to review.  Good lukc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption