Is my employer allowed to take all of my earnings to pay a debt?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer allowed to take all of my earnings to pay a debt?

I drive for Uber and I am leasing a car
through another company. I am behind
in my payments for the leasing of my
car. Uber is giving all of my earnings to
the leasing company.

Asked on September 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They can only do this if you agree to it: either this time specifically or more generally in some written agreement you signed which gives the authority to deduct from your earnings for debts like this. In the absence of your consent they cannot take your earnings for this purpose, and you could potentially sue them for the money. Before doing so, however, bear in mind that if you sue for the earnings they may then counter sue for any amounts you legitimately owe them; and, of course they may elect to terminate you if they believe you are costing them money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption