Is my employer allowed to ask me to pretend to be her husband on the phone in order for her to recieve a credit card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer allowed to ask me to pretend to be her husband on the phone in order for her to recieve a credit card?

I work in the dental field in an office of 14, including the 2 men (the doctors). I was asked on 2 separate occasions by one of the doctor’s wives, who is the office manger, to give me her best

man voice. The first time I was new and I made a rash decision and did what she asked but I could not help but feel insulted. I am the only lesbian in the office of straight staff and I was the only women asked to participate in the ridiculous scandal. Do I have any rights? I have recently changed jobs due to this and a few other reasons concerning OSHA and the state board of dental examiners with this particular office. Also, when turning in my 2 weeks notice, 3 weeks ago, I worked only 1 day before they told me I was no longer needed.

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal to pretend to be someone else in order to help anyone get a credit card.  In fact, it is considered credit card fraud, a form of identity theft. 
It is also illegal for your employer to discriminate against you or subject you to a hostile work environment because of your sexual orientation.  This may be an discrimination claim or an OSHA claim for hostile work environment.
You really need to set up consults with two different types of attorneys.  The first should be a criminal attorney to discuss how best to handle your criminal involvement in this matter.  The second attorney should be a civil rights attorney or employment law attorney to discuss how you are being treated at work and what you are being asked to do. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption