Is my company responsible for damage compensation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my company responsible for damage compensation?

I was in a fender bender while on the clock at work. My car was blocked in by 2 of my colleagues, they were parked illegally directly behind my car. While trying to reverse out, I hit a company truck. The factory manager saw when this happened and immediatley ran out to apologize it was his truck that was parked wrong and to tell me not to worry and that the company would cover damages. A few days later after the manager went with me to get estimates on repairs the HR manager now tells me that I am at fault and that the company will not pay for any repairs.

Asked on March 8, 2019 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The company is not liable for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your vehicle because you are at fault in the accident for hitting a parked truck.
You are liable for the property damage to the truck, and should refer the matter to your insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption