Is my company required to provide me with a refrigerator while I’m at work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my company required to provide me with a refrigerator while I’m at work?

I work for a rather large company, but with many smaller store locations. My store has always had a mini-fridge in it, but ours froze over and was leaking Freon. I was told to toss it by my direct supervisor. Now we have nothing. Is this legal?

Asked on October 8, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Having an employee refrigeratoe is not a legal requirement; providing one is at the sole discretion of an employer. According, you need not be given one by your company. The fact is that unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, you have no claim here. Absent some form of legally actionable discrimination, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption