Is my auto insurer responsible to pay for a rental if my car is totaled?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my auto insurer responsible to pay for a rental if my car is totaled?

I thought I had 30 days, they told me since the car is totaled I have 3 days from the time of the accident. I can’t car shop and buy something reliable and affordable in 2 days. I work 10-12 hour days. I don’t have the time. Also, are they responsible to pay for time lost at work because of vehicle lost in the accident? My parents seem to think so. I am unsure.

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An auto insurance policy is a contract: the insurer needs to pay for those things--and only those things--the policy says it does. Check the policy to see what they pay for in terms of rental. In terms of lost wages, while it's not impossible (that is, it would not be against the law) that you have a policy which provides you compensation for this, I am very skeptical: I have never heard of a policy providing this coverage. Again though, you need to check the policy to see what is and is not covered.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption